James Crockart and Son one of Scotland’s oldest gun makers is still in existence today. James Crockart was born near Perth in 1817. In 1852 he opened a gunshop on Leslie Street, near the Wellmeadow in Blairgowrie and where the firm of James Crockart and Son was born. This venture proved successful and soon led to expansion with the business moving to larger premises on the east side of Allan street. From there the business grew and again moved to a larger shop with a purpose built workshop at 26 Allan street.
James Crockart made sporting and target rifles, shotguns, fishing tackle and loaded cartridges and was himself a very keen game shot and won countless trophies on the shooting range out to 1000yds. However, due to a shooting accident he gave up the sport and his leisure time was then devoted solely to fishing.
James Crockart had six sons, two of whom, Robert and William took over the business in Blairgowrie on the death of their father in 1896. Williams sons also followed him into the business which was family owned right up until 1945 when it was sold to Harry Michie a gun smith and an international small bore rifle champion. In 1968 Robert Jamieson took over the business from Harry Michie, since then a larger premises at 28 Allan street was purchased and Robert has extended the premises to include a gun room and a full workshop. The shop today concentrates on the needs of the country sportsman, retailing a wide selection of new and second hand shotguns and sporting rifles and offering a full gun smithing service. 2002 saw the company re-start production of new Crockart shotguns. All this along with a comprehensive range of fishing tackle, country clothing, accessories and friendly advice and support make for a real one stop shop for all your sporting needs.